Almost all graduates in the country at one time or the other dream of making career in civil services but only a few dare to prepare for it and a minute fraction of the students is able to make it to the final list. Interestingly, there are other career options as well but this is a career which offers some of the highest government post in several departments with good salary and reputation. Moreover, civil servants get a chance to work under the guidance of reputed ministers and higher rank officials
Why Choose Civil Services As A Career?
“Civil Servants are the pillars of stability within the shifting sands of politics”
Most of us, once asked about the Civil Services, have a reasonably imprecise plan. It’s a celebrated field to make sure. however, this is often wherever we reach a full-stop. Why is it thus celebrated within the initial place? It’s as a result of the civil services don’t have any time for “ME”, it’s continuously the “WE” that comes initial
Unlike most jobs; that need a loyalty tied to the organization, government officials is a chance to figure towards the betterment of the country and its voters. certain there’s the ability, and the status, and the standing however keep all those aside for a moment. they may all be reasons for needing to become an IAS or an IPS or the other officer on the list, however the real test comes within the style of duty – duty you owe to yourself and your nation.
Confused? Don’t be. Civil services are committed to be of service to people and help address their issues. Like we’ve mentioned, there’s rarely any time for “What’s in it for me?” during this field. choosing a career within the Civil Services means that continuously viewing the larger picture: “What can i do for the nation?”
All this could appear terribly solemn, and dare we are saying it “dull” to those seeking a touch a lot of spirit from their chosen career. However, during this case, there’s spirit – providing it comes from your finish. For you see, this isn’t with regards to amassing a lot of data to crack a “tough exam”. It’s concerning needing to be the simplest amongst the chosen few that get known as up to serve their country
What does it mean to be known as a Civil Servant?
Civil Servants are the people behind the scenes, serving to the govt. implement policies, and maintain law and order. they’re the link between the lots and therefore the government. Powerful and well-respected in their own right, here’s all you wish to grasp concerning what it means that to be known as a Civil Servant
Candidates are chosen for a number of services through this exam mainly being :
- Indian Administrative Services (IAS) – they are the top rank holders and are endowed with the responsibility of day to day administration in a district. They are also posted to some PSUs or government departments.
- India Police Services (IPS) – the official deal with the maintenance of law and order in an area. They are involved in crime investigation and some are also part of intelligence agencies like R&AW and IB.
- Indian Foreign Services (IFS) – they serve directly under the central government and are posted in different countries as the Indian diplomats. They have the responsibility of representing the country on the International platform and several organizations.
There are many other services like Indian Revenue Services (IRS), Indian Information services (IIS), and others for which people are recruited through the common test. All these services have the same pay scale but IAS is the one who heads all the departments of the government ministries. Therefore, it is the most preferred service among the candidates.
Work Description of Civil Servants
Civil services career offers some of the dignified and reputed posts in the government. With higher post comes the higher responsibility. The civil servants need to work closely with the substantial members of the government and look after the implementation of the government schemes. Some work responsibilities undertaken by these people are:
- They handle the daily administration of the government which also includes implementation and framing of the policies.
- Advice and support the higher government officials in implementation of the policies.
- Supervision of effective implementation of rules and regulations in an area.
- Liaison and consult with other government official and ministers.
- Evaluate the working of policies in the area by getting honest feedback from the public.
- Ensure maintenance of law and order under the jurisdiction.
By looking at the job responsibilities, it can be said that civil servants have a hard working job by working under the constant pressure from the higher officials. Also, their work gets harder in case of emergencies, like the recent COVID pandemic.
Pros and Cons of Civil Services
A person who want to serve the society and want to touch the lives of thousands of people should surely choose civil services as a career option. Honestly, these services provide a grand opportunity to make a difference in the society by your initiatives. Also one gets an opportunity to work with the top government officials and also of framing the key government policies for the country. On the contrary, the job comes with huge responsibilities and a person can sleep but a city never goes to sleep. Putting it simply, there can be an emergency anytime and a civil servant shall cater to it immediately. Moreover, there is constant pressure from high official and ethical dilemmas during duty. One has to live far away from the families and may even get posted in tensed areas