Don't forget to subscribe to email notifications to get all latest jobs directly to your email daily. We post more than 1000+ jobs every week.So,
PAN Card consists of a 10 digit alphanumeric sequence. Let’s understand what each character of this sequence stands for.
- The PAN structure is as follows: AAAPL1234C: First five characters are letters, next four numerals, last character letter.
- The first three letters are sequence of alphabets from AAA to ZZZ
- The fourth character informs about the type of holder of the card. Each holder is uniquely defined as below:
- A — Association of Persons (AOP)
- B — Body of Individuals (BOI)
- C — Company
- F — Firm
- G — Government
- H — HUF (Hindu Undivided Family)
- L — Local Authority
- J — Artificial Judicial Person
- P — Individual
- T — AOP (Trust)
- K — Krish (Trust krish)
- The fifth character of the PAN is the first character
- (a) of the surname or last name of the person, in the case of a “Personal” PAN card, where the fourth character is “P” or
- (b) of the name of the Entity, Trust, society, or organisation in the case of Company/ HUF/ Firm/ AOP/ BOI/ Local Authority/ Artificial Judicial Person/ Govt, where the fourth character is “C”,”H”,”F”,”A”,”T”,”B”,”L”,”J”,”G”.
If you change your surname after marriage or due to any other reason, your PAN card number will remain unchanged.
- 6th to 9th Characters
The next four numbers are sequential numbers running from 0001 to 9999.
- The last character is an alphabetic check digit.
Nowadays, the DOI (date of issue) of the PAN card is mentioned at the right (vertical) hand side of the photo on the PAN card if issued by NSDL and will not be mentioned if issued by UTI-TSL.